Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday Stir-Fry



Chicken Stir-Fry.  I'm pretty sure that it was one of the first "multi-step" meals I learned to make on my own.  Sure, I had helped with other far more complicated meals, but (if my memory is serving me correctly) this was the first dinner I cooked by myself and served.  I remember it being very salty, probably a little too much soy sauce and not enough chicken.  But as the years have gone by, my stir-fry has changed and developed, mostly by trial and error.
Things I've learned:
  1.  I've learned that seasoning and cooking raw chicken is best.  
  2. I've learned that if you are going to use packaged, pre-cooked chicken that it shouldn't be the kind that has Mexican seasoning on it; yes, you can really taste the Mexican seasoning and that doesn't go well with soy sauce.  
  3. I've learned that ginger should be minced, once you've taken a big bite of ginger, you'll never do it again. 
  4. Arrow root is amazing!
  5. Pretty much anything goes...as long as you like it!

While browsing for new things to try, I stumbled across this recipe. I had never thought to add arrow root to my stir-fry before, probably because I'd never heard of it before. So, I googled it.  It's used mostly in Asian dishes to thicken the sauce without adding any additional flavoring.  It's incredible.  Seriously, go buy arrow root.
This recipe was a little bit too sweet for my taste, next time I make it (and there will be a next time) I'll go a lighter on the sugar.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment