Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Mayo


Is it bad that Cinco de Mayo surprises me every year?  I mean the holiday's name is conveniently the date, but every year I don't make the connection until someone says it or I read it somewhere.
Maybe it's because I'm just completely unreceptive to holidays that don't involve mythical creatures or beings.
But even without remembering, I made steak enchiladas.  Go me!  I guess my sub-conscience was trying to tell me something...or it could be that it just sounded good.
Either way, these are pretty delicious; plus, they make great leftovers.  Just don't forget the tortilla chips!!
What you'll need:
1lb steak, cut into thing strips
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 package of pre-washed, pre-cleaned fresh mushrooms
1 jar 15.5 oz salsa
shredded cheese
4 tortillas
olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Cook onion in pan with a small amount of oil until almost golden.  Add mushrooms and approximately 5 ounces of salsa.  Let simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally.  When the onions and mushrooms look done, remove from heat and set aside.

2. Add a little more oil to the pan and cook the steak, about 5 minutes.  When the steak looks almost done, drain the pan of extra juices and add about 3 ounces of salsa.  Let simmer on low heat for about 3 minutes.  Remove the steak and add it to the mushrooms and onions.

3. Lay out the tortillas, add veggies, steak and cheese. Roll the tortillas so that there are no open sides.  This should make about 4 enchiladas.  Place each one in an oven safe pan.  Spread a little salsa on top to keep the tortillas from drying out, top with more cheese.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment