Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunday French Toast


I know my parents probably, at some point, maybe, made me French Toast.
But I don't remember it.  Nope, the first memory I have of French Toast was with my G-ma Allred.  I remember thinking it was weird that she was putting bread into a bowl of eggs.  I think that's what I remember most.  That putting bread into raw eggs was weird.
Weird, it may have been; but delicious did it taste.  The final result was pretty much amazing.  
I still think of it every time I make it.
So Mom and Dad, if you made me French Toast before Grandma, and I just don't remember...I'm sorry.
I found this recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook.  I altered it slightly.

What you'll need:
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
4 slices of bread
vegetable oil

Suggested:
maple syrup
powdered sugar

How you do it:
In a medium bowl, beat first five ingredients until well mixed.
Heat skillet over medium heat.  Add a little bit of vegetable oil to the pan.
Dip each side of the bread into the egg mixture.  Place slices flat on griddle, cook each side for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve on a pretty plate with maple syrup and powdered sugar.  And make sure to clean your plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment