Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sausage, Mushrooms and Onions--Oh My!


I didn't like sausage growing up.  I didn't like onions, either.  I didn't even really like mushrooms.
I didn't like a lot of things.  But that's starting to change.  Did you hear that?  I think I just heard my parents' shout of joy.  Every time I came home from college, I'd have discovered a new food I liked...and that discovery still hasn't stopped.
I have discovered I like sausage.  I especially like it in this dish.  Noodles always make things better.
What you'll need:
4 sausages
1/2 a large onion
1/2 a package of mushrooms*
penne pasta
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
Oil

How you do it:
Start boiling water for noodles, follow the directions on the box.
Heat skillet and add a little bit of oil.  Cook sausage completely.  Cut into bite size pieces.  Add onions to the pan and cook until golden brown.  Add mushrooms and continue to cook until tender.  Add spaghetti sauce and let simmer for another five minutes or until sauce is heated.
Pour meat, veggies and sauce over cooked noodles.

Open a bottle of wine, take in the smell of yummy sausage and sauce, and enjoy!
*Note that the mushrooms can be substituted for a green pepper.  In my family, this is fondly referred to as "SPO" aka Sausage, Peppers and Onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment