Sunday, July 5, 2009

Red, White and Blue...Chicken Cordon Bleu!

Chicken Cordon Bleu was always one of my favorite meals growing up. I would pull out the ham, scrape out the cheese and enjoy the chicken cutlet. What was I thinking?  I really have no idea.  
I was flipping through my trusty Home & Garden cookbook when I came across this recipe, and I knew right then and there, that's what I'm making for dinner. 
If I bought the ham, made it with the ham and ate the ham without complaint, without the thought of leaving the ham out...does that mean I now like ham? 
Um, no.  I tried to eat it alone, I wanted to like it, but no. I do not like the ham.
Do you see all the toothpicks above? I made sure that chicken wasn't going to fall apart.
And you know what?  It didn't!

What you'll need:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 thin slices smoked ham
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg: beaten
1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
4 tablespoons butter
toothpicks

How You Do it:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Pound chicken breasts to 1/4-inch thickness or until they are thin enough to fold. Place one cheese slice and one ham slice on each breast.  Roll up each chicken breast until cheese and ham are folded inside.  Use the toothpicks to secure the chicken.  Place flour, egg and bread crumbs in separate bowls, dredge each chicken breast in the flour, then the egg and then the bread crumbs.  Place them on a greased baking dish.  Add one tablespoon of butter on top of each breast.  Bake for 35 minutes or until the juices run clear.

Remove the toothpicks before serving...it will look better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment