Sunday, April 12, 2009

MMM...Steak


Let me start this post by explaining that I live in an apartment in New York City and unfortunately they don't allow grills indoors...go figure.  And that's one of the many things I didn't think about when I moved here two years ago.  I also didn't think about carrying my groceries two blocks, but that's another story for a different time.  



When it comes to steak, at home, in my tiny NYC apartment, the broiler is my best friend.  Now the moment I move somewhere with a little patch of land big enough for a tiny grill, or a big grill or really any type of grill I'll probably kiss my broiler-friend so long.  (Sorry Broiler, but it's true.)


But back to the current time.  One of my favorite meals is a yummy steak (did you catch that?) served with a side of Brussels sprouts and potatoes.  This side compliments the steak in such a delicious way that I find myself spreading this simple side recipe to friends and family.  It's firm, crunch, soft and pretty much amazing.


I also have to add that the choice of wine greatly contributes to the overall atmosphere.  I am a big, huge, groupie-fan of Ledson.  Seriously, if you are in/around/visiting the Napa area visit Ledson.

For the potatoes and Brussels sprouts:

½ pound Brussels sprouts

1 pound potatoes, sliced 1 inch thick

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 garlic cloves

1 teaspoon dried thyme

 

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.  Finely chop garlic or use cheese grater, sprinkle with salt.  Make sure the garlic is so fine that it is has an almost paste-like consistency.  Transfer to a small bowl; stir in 1-tablespoon oil and ½ teaspoon thyme.  In a large bowl add sliced potatoes and then toss in oil mixture.  Make sure each potato is covered.  Place the potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet; making sure that each potato slice is flat.  Bake the potatoes for 20 25 minutes or until browned on the underside.

While the potatoes are in the oven start preparing the Brussels sprouts.  Chop off the end of each sprout and then slice each in half.  Using the same large bowl as the potatoes, add the Brussels sprouts, ½ teaspoon thyme, and 1-tablespoon olive oil.  Start heating a pan on the stove with the rest of the olive oil; when the oil is hot add the seasoned Brussels sprouts.  Cook them until the half-side of the Brussels sprouts start to turn a golden brown.  Turn the temperature of the stove down to low. 

When the potatoes are finished add them to the Brussels sprouts.  Be gentle with the potatoes, as they tend to break.  This method is mostly to keep them warm while the steak cooks.

 

For the steak: 

Steak

Salt

Pepper

Garlic Powder or 1 Garlic Clove

 

First season the steak with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  You can use fresh garlic or really any seasoning you want.  Place the steak in a 2-inch oven-safe pan lined with tinfoil and put it in the oven on the “hi” broiler setting for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the steak.  Remember that the steak will continue to cook after you take it out of the oven, and you don’t want to over cook it.  It’s really easy to do this in the broiler, trust me =)


No comments:

Post a Comment