Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Barcelona Memories!


My Aunt and Uncle took my brother, my cousin and me on a Mediterranean cruise last summer.  We flew to Barcelona and spent a day there before boarding this hugely-gigantic cruise ship.  But before that, my Aunt and I were on a mission to find the best sangria.
It was not a mission that we took lightly.  
I think we tired 4 or 5 different pitchers of the refreshing summer liquid, before we found our favorite place. 
And you know what, we couldn't remember the name or where it was.
Lucky for us that my Uncle is really good with remembering where things are located.  He was actually able to remember where this place was a whole week later.  
And it wasn't just any week, it was filled with sunning, drinking, walking, drinking, laughing, learning, eating, drinking and so on.
When we docked back in Barcelona, we wanted to have another glass or two before we left.
He didn't let us down, he weaved the streets of Barcelona like a local.
And we got our pitcher.
It's been almost a year since then.  I haven't forgotten about my beloved drink.
So I made myself a pitcher.  It's delicious!  
The apples are seriously like little wine-bombs that explode in your mouth.
What you'll need*:
2 bottles of red wine (I used a Zinfandel)
3 apples, cut into cubes (I used 2 green and 1 red)
1 orange, cut into slices
2 lemons, cut into slices
5 cups ginger-ale
1/2 cup orange juice
2 shots vodka or triple sec

How you do it:
Pour wine into a pitcher and add fruit.  Refrigerate and let it cool for 24 hours.  This allows the fruit to absorb some of the wine.  (To serve immediately, you'll want to start out with chilled wine.)  When you are ready to serve it, add ginger-ale, orange juice and vodka.

Serve it in a wine glass and stay cool in the summer heat!
*This recipe was my starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment